DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Sign in to follow this  
Tradesman4u

Tradesman4u.com

Tradesman4u

Hi all, quick question. Do you think giving the customer the option to request up to 5 quotes is too many. i.e if you got a lead through and the customer had requested 5 quotes would it put you off that lead knowing 'potentially' you could be quoting against 4 others? Let me know what you think.

Theorysparky

It would put me off !!!!

3 is fair enuff

1 would be ideal :^O

Sidewinder

I knew an engineer at a large company who would always ask for 5 quotes on the following premise.

The cheapest were cowboys who know nothing so that went in the bin.

The most expensive did not need the work, so that went in the bin.

He would then look at the last 3 and did not always select the cheapest.

However, having the 5 gave him the spread and ideas he wanted.

Theorysparky

trouble with that is.......

we are talking about cheapskate domestic customers who will take the cheapest..........

a suck it and see approach may be the best option for the time being....

Tradesman4u
It would put me off !!!!

3 is fair enuff

1 would be ideal :^O

Would be nice if we lived in a world where nobody ever quoted against you :)

Even if it were set at a maximum of one (I know you were only joking) we all know there's also nothing stopping the customer picking a name out of the yellow book! They might also get 5 quotes from the site and not like any of them.

I think the suck it and see approach might be the best option for now then. If 5 ends up a problem then I think I'd probably cut it back to 3. Like you say we are dealing with Joe public so although its a fair point Sidey makes price is very often the major factor for them. I want it to be as equitable as possible for the trades.

I saw you're point on the other thread, so I'll bring it into this one so as to not be running multiple threads. I don't really think we could handle the distribution of the quotes for each tradesman. Think we'd end up getting dragged into all sorts of things if the tradesman supplied us with the quote to then dish out. The website's goal is to bring customers and tradesmen together not really to influence pricing etc.

I would say though that if someone is putting prices out that are simply not right and you are aware of it then you need to let me know.

Cheers

NozSpark

How about charging the customer and not tradesman;););)

It'd stop time wasters:)

Sidewinder

^what about it, fully refundable from the tradesman who gets the job?...

Tradesman4u

Not sure how many jobs we'd get!!! :)

Sidewinder

Think about it though you would get serious enquiries and the punter would be assured that they would get their money back.

Tradesman4u

Its got me thinking I must admit

NozSpark
Think about it though you would get serious enquiries and the punter would be assured that they would get their money back.

But he can charge 5 of us

Tradesman4u
But he can charge 5 of us

NozSpark

So who decides the value of the lead?

Tradesman4u

Customer when inputting the job selects an approximate budget from a dropdown menu. Its slightly flawed as obviously a customers view of a job price may be completely different to the actual costs. Chances are though customers will 'undervalue' the cost of a job so if anything they are likely to estimate a

NozSpark

You have just stated one of the problems with your type of site..

The customer often undervalues the job..... If they value a

Doc Hudson

Even a reasonably clued up customer would have trouble keeping up with the fluctuations of copper prices for cable over the past 18months. A shower or cooker circuit could be nearly double what it was 18-24months ago mostly due to cable and fuel costs. I would think a lot of customer would use these sort of sites to get an idea of the costs are, as they do not know what the real costs are for the work they want done.

Doc H.

Tradesman4u
You have just stated one of the problems with your type of site..

The customer often undervalues the job..... If they value a

Zeespark

Would it be worth having a tab for potential customers to say that they are not sure of the price for something at all? I have walked away from people asking Me to do a board change for

Tradesman4u
Would it be worth having a tab for potential customers to say that they are not sure of the price for something at all? I have walked away from people asking Me to do a board change for

paul b b

I have been on RP and had no end of problems... People even post jobs for a house they have yet to buy!!!!!! And getting your money back is a pain.

I think your pricing structure sounds better though. I bought a job off them for 36 quid, the budget was 4000 so I thought it worth while. The job was smaller than I thought and I quoted 1200.

As for 5 quotes, forget it. I would not even bother purchasing the lead if 2 already had!

Its also a postcode lottery, in the smoke or other citys. It may work but in the sticks you will not get enough leads to make it worth while.

Good luck though, I'm sure you will be better than RP

Doc Hudson

**please note**

Other comments relating to this topic were in the forum sponsor thread. Direct merging them into this thread may cause a mess and loss of context between posts. So the old forum sponsor posts can now be viewed in a new closed thread http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/useful-links-page/17334-tradesman4u-posts-moved-current-sporsor-thread.html#post233031 If anyone needs to comment about one of these posts please link to it then continue discussion in here. Thank you.

Doc H.

Tradesman4u

Morning Doc, thanks for sorting that merge out. I could see it ending up cluttering the forum up.

Hi Paul, I feel your pain. Its largely the refund thing that has lead me to being here. If you go back maybe a year I'm fairly certain that a

Admin

Personally I think 3 quotes is more than enough; but, if you don't, then:

I think there should be an option for how many quotes the possible client would like.

There are ONLY two options.

The default option would be 3 quotes

and the second option to be 5 quotes.

Tradesman4u
Personally I think 3 quotes is more than enough; but, if you don't, then:

I think there should be an option for how many quotes the possible client would like.

There are ONLY two options.

The default option would be 3 quotes

and the second option to be 5 quotes.

At the minute they get an option of requesting 3,4 or 5 quotes. I'm am wondering if 5 is too many. Somebody mentioned it yesterday and it got me thinking about it. Would I buy a lead knowing 4 other people are quoting/quoted. Am not 100% sure I would. If we were really quiet then maybe but in a general sense probably not.

Its set at a default value of 3 so most will probably just leave it as it is, and we'll probably see the vast bulk of leads come through as 3 I imagine.

Maybe a compromise would be giving them 2,3 or 4 as an option. I've not fully made my mind up on that yet.

Its on the massive list aswell!! :D

Admin

As I say, I personally, think that 3 is more than enough.

It is well known that tv programmes like Watchdog, cowboy builders etc all recommend getting 3 quotes.