2391 Practical Tomorrow.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Si54

Reaction score
Bricking it, a bit. It's not that I can't test, I can do that. It's the time limit that worries me. My main gripe is why? Why pressure someone with a time limit?

For me, the point of the exam is to prove competence. The time limit is detrimental to that. Regardless, those are the rules and I'll abide by them.

Has anyone got any last minute tips, pointers or general help I could use. I would really appreciate it.

The insulation resistance fault finding test I will be ok with, the visual inspection should be fine and the PIR is what it is. However, I can't remember what's expected in the Earth Fault Loop Impedance (interpreting results) part.

I hadn't done testing since the 3rd year of my apprenticeship which was nearly 7 years ago, I was launched into the 2391 by my boss despite warnings of candidates needing a certain amount of experience. So my company are expecting a first time pass when the reality is different. The people who run the company are business, they have no idea of trades. Especially electrical. They assume, since I'm an electrician I should no every single thing about the electrical trade.

Cheers, 1st post. 1st of many no doubt.

Firstly dont panic and keep looking at the time there is plenty of it.

Secondly just test to the best of your abilitys and make sure you do all the tests safely

Much appreciated mate. I've got GN3 and a 50 minute train journey to Thatcham for some last minute reading.

The time limit is there for the purpose of putting you under stress. It is a clear indication of your abilities. A fully trained competent electrician could complete the test, go to a cafe have a full english, read the daily star from cover to cover and still have time to chat to all the other candidates.

Needless to say I think we all panicked a little before any test.

Like the others have said,, don't worry about the time limit; when I did mine I did it in half the available time and I hadn't been working as an electrician before (I was an instrument technician before though)

IIRC it's all simple and obvious faults and each test is separate and on a different rig so it is quite straight forward

Si54,

Please let us know how you feel it went, then let us know what your results are when they come through?

I hate keeping my "2391" students to a time scale, I feel that I&T must be done correctly not to a time or a price, even in an exam situation!

Though it would be impossible to administer an exam without a time limit!!!

The time limit is there as a centre guide.

The true limit of the assessment is down to the discretion of the assessor.

I had a C&G EV come and inspect me when assessing the 2391 and I had a delegate who was approaching the 3 hour mark. I explained that the guy was carrying out his work in a very safe, structured and consistent manner - so there was no reason to fail him.

EV gave it an exemplary in his review.

Training centres that stick to the 2 hour timeframe are either doing it for logistics or lack true assessor skill and judgement.

Sorry, not been on in a while. Recommended for a pass. It was a lot easier than I was expecting, after I calmed myself.

I just have my theory resit to do now,