Cutting a slot in plywood

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests,

I need to cut a 3mm slot along the middle of the edge of a piece of 18mm ply, 

Can you do this with a router,?

It needs to be parallel the whole way along,

I would do it with a circular saw, the blade is 3mm,

Butt the end of the ply flush against something straight and flat to take the body of the saw

Saw or router would do it.

I would clamp a length of say 2"x2" to the edge of the ply for the saw's sole plate to sit on. This will reduce "rock". Or one either side even. Use the router fence too against the 2"x2" edge. Depends on the slot depth but I'd do it in a couple of passes. 

steps.JPG

It's ply, I already have some, :)

MDF, it's the devils work, it's not even wood, have you ever tried screwing into it,? :shakehead

It's a bit of 18mm ply, don't know if you even get 18mm mdf,?  

Looking at it, I'd be taking out about   5-7mm of the middle layer, 

It's to fit some T-moulding, 

You can certainly get both MDF & ply in 25mm as I've bought both myself. 18mm MDF is as common as muck tbh.

Want you want to do should be totally possible with the biscuit cutting bit in the router though you'll likely need to cut at a couple of different heights to get the required width.

You can certainly get both MDF & ply in 25mm as I've bought both myself. 18mm MDF is as common as muck tbh.

Want you want to do should be totally possible with the biscuit cutting bit in the router though you'll likely need to cut at a couple of different heights to get the required width.

The bit @HandySparks linked to was 4mm, that would give me a little wobble room, all I would need is some glue in it, surely that could take 5-7mm out in one go,? :C

I'm on the jigsaw tonight, I'll post some pix of the shape I'm needing to slot once I get it cut, :)

So you basically want to cut a center groove like the female side of a tongue and groove floorboard??

If so take it to someone who has a spindle moulder.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bit @HandySparks linked to was 4mm, that would give me a little wobble room, all I would need is some glue in it, surely that could take 5-7mm out in one go,? :C

I'm on the jigsaw tonight, I'll post some pix of the shape I'm needing to slot once I get it cut, :)

My mistake, for some reason I suddenly thought you wanted to go from 3 to 5-7mm on the width not the depth. A sharp 4mm biscuit cutter  should go straight in in one go. Get a feel on a piece of scrap first if not used to a router.

Btw, one of the things I often use a router for is trimming, to perfection, the edge of Melamine/Contiboard. Rough cut first with a jig or circular saw a couple of mm off the line you want then use a sharp kitchen worktop bit to cut to the line. Against a clamped fence of course.

That looks ideal @Rob_the_rich

Can you guess what it is yet,??? 

View attachment 6642

Just me careful you don't MAME yourself with those woodworking tools!

My mistake, for some reason I suddenly thought you wanted to go from 3 to 5-7mm on the width not the depth. A sharp 4mm biscuit cutter  should go straight in in one go. Get a feel on a piece of scrap first if not used to a router.

Btw, one of the things I often use a router for is trimming, to perfection, the edge of Melamine/Contiboard. Rough cut first with a jig or circular saw a couple of mm off the line you want then use a sharp kitchen worktop bit to cut to the line. Against a clamped fence of course.

Just me careful you don't MAME yourself with those woodworking tools!

Any prize from the top shelf,

:Applaud