Cutting a slot in plywood

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any prize from the top shelf,

:Applaud

This is the Pi based one? You cracked all button & joystick wiring then?

WISH I hadn't seen this.....I need a project as at long last I've just, today, laid the concrete down over the UFH pipes in the bathroom floor.....and it needs to cure!

"Honestly dear, it's for the kids!" :innocent

This is the Pi based one? You cracked all button & joystick wiring then?

WISH I hadn't seen this.....I need a project as at long last I've just, today, laid the concrete down over the UFH pipes in the bathroom floor.....and it needs to cure!

"Honestly dear, it's for the kids!" :innocent
Yes, the new Pi2B+ has more than enough inputs for 2 player and 3 fire buttons per player,

Santa brought me one, :D

You can do a 2player 3fire button on a standard Pi, but you need a keyboard as well to interface different games and reconfigure settings easily, and, I don't honestly think it would be up to the demands of 2player computing needs, 

I've also got a code for using a 2or3 button combo for 'escape' so a 1 button accidental press won't suddenly exit the game, and, have an off button coded to safely shutdown, or reboot,

Can all be done completely using joystick and buttons, NO keyboard or mouse required, except to load more games, I can't get my head round ssh-ing the games into the right folder

I'm making this a vertical one, as it will be used for the classics, 

Space invaders, pacman, donkey kong, etc, got a 19" 4:3 flat TV on ebay for £3 :)

I'll do a tutorial once it's done, like I've been promising, for ever, it seems,,,,,, 

I half fancy doing one set in a low glass covered "coffee table" so the kids can sit either side. Would need to "invert" the screen for player 2 - that must be possible?

In reality I'll do a full size one that can live in the conservatory. Good to gather round / keep the kids occupied when having a barbie.

I half fancy doing one set in a low glass covered "coffee table" so the kids can sit either side. Would need to "invert" the screen for player 2 - that must be possible?

In reality I'll do a full size one that can live in the conservatory. Good to gather round / keep the kids occupied when having a barbie.
Yes, you can invert the screen, doesn't work for team games though like bubble bobble, :|  or dual player games like boot hill, works fine on turn games like pacman or space invaders, 

I'm hoping 600mm wide is enough for 2 player, anything more is going to leave too big  a gap either side of my screen, with it being vertical. 

Get your screen first, then measure everything  else to suit, I think is the best idea. 

I repaired a "dead" 19" TFT monitor saved from the bin at work the other day. No stand, just the monitor. Whipped the back off and replaced the visibly blown electrolytic cap and all fired up a treat. 19" I think. A nasty scratch on the front that needs to be tidied if I can. Not sure on what inputs it's got though, might just be VGA.....

I repaired a "dead" 19" TFT monitor saved from the bin at work the other day. No stand, just the monitor. Whipped the back off and replaced the visibly blown electrolytic cap and all fired up a treat. 19" I think. A nasty scratch on the front that needs to be tidied if I can. Not sure on what inputs it's got though, might just be VGA.....
You can get an AV - vga converter, or, if it has dvi,  use an hdmi - dvi lead, :)

Ye, that would do, the one I have doesnt do hdmi, it does do AV though, that one you have looks better as a purpose item though, 

Cost wise, 

it's whatever wood you want to use, I had half a sheet of 3/4 ply that I'm using for the sides, bartop version, will get some 1/2" for front,back,etc,

I'd guess <£100 not including the Pi,

plexiglass for screen and marquee £25?, 2 player joystick and illuminated buttons £33.50, t-moulding edge strip £0.90/foot, undercoat/primer £5,?,  rattlecan topcoat £5,?,  fused iec inlet £3.50 iirc, modesty blocks £3.50/100 iirc,

piano hinge,  ide lead, iec power lead, psu for led buttons, polyfilla, wood filler, spade connectors 2sizes, small butt connectors, wire, heatshrink, light for marquee, stuff I have kicking about, 

Can't think of anything else,  

Is this one you're building still a counter top one or a big, tall free standing job?

Got any links for free standing cabinet plans?

Cheers

Is this one you're building still a counter top one or a big, tall free standing job?

Cheers
Counter top? I thought it was a modified washing machine :Blushing  

Cheers
Just counter top, but it's a bit bigger than I had planned,

tbh, you could just make the sides of it longer to have if freestanding if you wanted,

It's about 3' tall, so just make the sides 38" longer and it would be freestanding, 

It's 19&1/2" deep, and will be about 22" wide when it's done.

Freestanding ones just had a huge money box below anyway, with a big iron bar and a padlock iirc. You could have shelves and stuff, but I would definitely put a kickboard in, those games can be frustrating as hell.

It's good to know, I can't get on with Raspbian OS for some reason.

So.....I guess it would run Zorin OS?
I'd imagine so,

But, tbh, I'd try something lighter, maybe Zorin lite,?

Personally I'd go for Lubuntu, or Xubuntu, I've just put that on my old shed laptop last week as it was struggling with videos, and it seems to be running well, it's still Ubuntu with some heavyweight stuff removed,(you can still install from the software centre) and running a different lighter front end, XFCE instead of Gnome.