Cutting a slot in plywood

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks @phil d,  not got round to sourcing a bit yet, been a bit hectic at work this week.  

Are actually offering to slot this for me,? :)

I've never used a router before, just bought a cheapo one specially for this project, but now I'm wondering if I really need a table one,  :C

23, that's Haydock isn't it,? Not far from me at all, I used to do quite a bit of work out towards Ashton etc, 

Thanks @phil d,  not got round to sourcing a bit yet, been a bit hectic at work this week.  

Are actually offering to slot this for me,? :)

I've never used a router before, just bought a cheapo one specially for this project, but now I'm wondering if I really need a table one,  :C

23, that's Haydock isn't it,? Not far from me at all, I used to do quite a bit of work out towards Ashton etc, 
Yes  as I said I've  got all the gear I'll pm you my number later  and we can

Sort  something out 

Anyone got a source for buying really small quantities of plexiglass/clear acrylic or whatever it's called,? 

Need some 3or4mm thick, 22" wide,  and about 36" total. 

:C

Won't it just "snap" like glass if you score the back side of the cut with a Stanley knife?
more likely to just snap in pieces.

you could use a sacrificial piece of ply on top with a jigsaw, or circular saw, or best just glue it to the panel it is being attached to and then trim the edges with a ball-race bit using the new router, or get phil d to do it.

edit- oh it is clear plastic, how will it be attached? mirror screws and caps?

Last edited by a moderator:
5 / 6 mm.....I cut with a jig saw on a SLOW 'ish speed. Use a proper acrylic blade like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-T101A-Jigsaw-Blades-/331813188007?hash=item4d419b71a7:g:6tgAAOSwAKxWbcp6

That's a good price btw for 5 blades. At a pinch a metal/plastic combi blade like the T118A.  I'll see if I have a spare of either. Cool the cut line with a dribble of water.

Score a line with a scriber. Place the acrylic on a board / wooden bench and just hang the sheet over the edge enough for the blade to clear. Cut close up to the scribed line on the waste side. Go too fast and you'll end up melting either side of the cut and it sort of glues itself back together as well as gumming the blade up. You can draw file the edges to the scribed line and polish the edge and any marks on the face with Brasso. 

Completely ignore my previous plans and measurements,

On doing the dry build,

there is NOT enough room on the control panel for an adult to rest their hand/wrist,

more up to date drawings to follow.

Got a 4'x2' sheet of 2mm for 9£ Inc at Stax,  

Thinking about it, it's not going to get abused, I hope, so 2mm should be fine, but would deffo go 4mm for a cocktail cabinet,

Will cut screen with a fine hacksaw blade, then measure up for control panel once I have that in place,

Was thinking of cutting a couple of mm shy and fixing just along the edges with some black silicone, and maybe cover with some black tile trim if it needs it,,,,,, 

Got a little bit more done at the weekend,

Screen fitted,

Perspex on front, and finger plate,

Speakers fitted, just removed the ones from TV and cut slots for TV grills and painted,

Illuminated buttons look so much better, even not lit,! 

Need to get my marquee design done properly and then printed off for sticker/whatever I use,, 

IMG_20160511_222757.jpg