Just started my apprenticeship ..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just trying to be helpful, although it is not the same thing.A Stanley Knife is an extremely dangerous weapon and really has no place in electrical work. They are banned from all AM2 Test Centres.
Why so?

A screwdriver or lump hammer can be more dangerous?!

Why so?A screwdriver or lump hammer can be more dangerous?!
I could dodge the question by asking why the NET disallow the use of Stanley Knives for the AM2 PPA Skills Test.

However, a Stanley Knife could slip, whereas an Electrician's Knife has a locking mechanism and is not prone to snap.

I'm not suggesting that Stanley-type Knives do not have their uses, but they are completely inappropriate - and indeed dangerous - when it comes to electrical work.

I could dodge the question by asking why the NET disallow the use of Stanley Knives for the AM2 PPA Skills Test.However, a Stanley Knife could slip, whereas an Electrician's Knife has a locking mechanism and is not prone to snap.

I'm not suggesting that Stanley-type Knives do not have their uses, but they are completely inappropriate - and indeed dangerous - when it comes to electrical work.
Thanks for that :)

I've seen quite a few sparks use them with great skill to strip cable..................`

A Stanley Knife is an extremely dangerous weapon and really has no place in electrical work. They are banned from all AM2 Test Centres.

Every spark i know has a stanley knife.

Me too Eccles, But we aren't supposed to be using them. :eek:

I was taught to strip larget twin&earth with a stanley knife, however that was when we were allowed to use power tools, and hammers when we were 16.

Nowadays you can only foot ladders and strip FP200.

Why so?A screwdriver or lump hammer can be more dangerous?!
They say a stanley knife can stick in the outer insulation and then "jump" and may cause you to cut yourself.

They claim this wont happen with a lockable knife. Maybe this is due to the fact you have lobbed yours to f**k because it was useless and used your stanley.

Lockable electricians knifes are ok for certain types of cable but will never beat a stanley.

There is no specific rules against using Stanley knives, different sites will have different rules. For example the room next to the workshops at college is the AM2 room no stanleys allowed, yet you can use them in the workshops directly next door.

There is no specific rules against using Stanley knives, different sites will have different rules. For example the room next to the workshops at college is the AM2 room no stanleys allowed, yet you can use them in the workshops directly next door.
They only had Electrician's Knives at my Tech. Although the ones they had were completely blunt. My own one is actually reasonably sharp.

They only had Electrician's Knives at my Tech. Although the ones they had were completely blunt. My own one is actually reasonably sharp.
A blunt knife is a dangerous knife

:|

learn to sharpen them

we were allowed stanley knives in AM2... unofficially though

nothing wrong with stanley knives. as with all other tools, its only dangerous if the user doesnt know how to use it. i have had more cuts etc from other knives than a stanley knife.

this knife is good for stripping SWA

my list of tools i have is for 1st year :"1 Lockable tool box (5 drawer Cantilever) complete with a padlockyour paranoid with the locks! i always used either a bag or bucket, no locks necessary! depending where its kept, could be a sign that you dont trust those your working with

1 Heavy hammer (1.25 kilo club or lump hammer)as previously suggested, a claw hammer will be of more use. if you need to bash loads of things, then get this too

1 Pair insulated combination Pliers (185 or 200mm)

1 Hacksaw frame (suitable for 300mm blades)

1 Electrician's insulated screwdriver - 75 x 3mm (parallel tip)a 4mm wide screwdriver fits just about every socket nicely. 3mm fits most light switches and pendants etc

1 Electrician's insulated screwdriver - 150 x 5mm (parallel tip)

1 Electrician's insulated screwdriver - 200 x 5mm (parallel tip)you might also want to get something a bit wider, like 7mm, rather than different lengths

1 Electrician's insulated screwdriver - 75mm 0pt (cross point)

1 Electrician's insulated screwdriver - 100mm 0pt (cross point)also get a PZ1 size

1 Electrician's insulated screwdriver - 150mm 2pt (cross point)

1 junior hacksaw

1 clasp knife

1 spirit level (225 or 250mm)

1 plumb-bob line (200 gms)probably wont be used much

1 chalk line reel (15m)as above

1 pair foot prints (225m)if your house bashing, this may not be used much, or maybe never used

1 claw hammer (500gms)

1 flooring chisel (55mm)

1 bradawl (medium)

tape measure (19mm wide)

All insulated tools to be insulated to the current IEC standards to at least 1000v"they dont have to be insulated. unless you plan to work live....
my red

Stuff not on list:

voltage tester

cable cutters

1/2" x 18" chisel padsaw

tin snips

The times when I have had nasty cuts is when it is cold and you are working on swa and the knife has slipped but you probably should not be working on it when its cold anyway but needs must. I always strip tw/e with the cpc and then trim back with snips so generally don't use a stanley much.

Batty

Would an apprentice require a battery gun?
No if that is required then it should be provided by the company, if you wanted one then you would need to buy a decent one and it varies dependant on if its just for screwing in fixings or if you want a hammer action.

Latest posts