No Earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John t

Reaction score
Just been to a property that has recently been renovated. Builder has had someone in to extend the main incoming to under the stairs..no earth has been brought through with it..should we put an earth rod in or get the supplier in the thing is they are an old couple who didn't know any better and don't want to get them into trouble..suggestions please thanks in advance

What exactly has been done? Has the intake been moved (in which case the DNO will be upset when they find out), or have the tails simply been run through the house to a remote DB location (in which case, what about overcurrent protection, routing in prescribed zones and RCD protetcion for concealed cables (assuming not mech protected)

I think we are going to need pictures to advise further

And what earthing if any, is at the supply head, i.e. is it TNCS etc or TT?

Who did the (presumably) consumer unit move? Is it connected and live (without an earth)?

Just been to a property that has recently been renovated. Builder has had someone in to extend the main incoming to under the stairs..no earth has been brought through with it..should we put an earth rod in or get the supplier in the thing is they are an old couple who didn't know any better and don't want to get them into trouble..suggestions please thanks in advance
I'm assuming it's been jointed the new head has been relocated under stairs as well as the meter..tails off the meter to DB earth from head to DB but took cover off and no earth coming in with extended feed

Who did the (presumably) consumer unit move? Is it connected and live (without an earth)?
Couldn't say..the area in question is a mixture of TNS & TNCS....no TT in that area

Could really do with a pic. Has the service head and meter been put on a mounting board.

Yes connected & live with no earth

They have been using the installation for about 12 months it's when they had an issue with the washing machine..they got the engineer out and he said the sockets were not earthed..the called us in to check

Almost certainly not an authorised move then.
No definitely not...the cupboard were it originally came in has now gone so I'm assuming the joint is unde floor..its been layer with under floor heating (water) so no access at all in original location

At the risk of opening a BIIIIIG can of worms, call the DNO to ask them to come and check the safety of "their" supply head"

If it was an unauthorised move then I expect them to cut off the supply and give you a quote for correcting and making safe the supply. But perhaps a post of a picture of the cable used might give a hint if it was authorised or not?

If the DNO do (rightfully) get very upset it should be the builder or the spark with mental health issues they should be going after.

P.S be a little careful, I had a run in with the DNO once who would not believe it was not me that moved the meter.

Or just bang a rod in and save yourself a lot of grief?

If they have moved the head and supply cable there won't be a joint as they would not have been able to isolate it and is doubtful they did it live although not impossible. The only way they could have moved it is if the service cable was long enough to enable the move, does the cable come in through a floor void.

If they have moved the head and supply cable there won't be a joint as they would not have been able to isolate it and is doubtful they did it live although not impossible. The only way they could have moved it is if the service cable was long enough to enable the move, does the cable come in through a floor void.
It does com through the floor under stairs yes

Latest posts