No Earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something doesn't sound quite right with this whole story and it certainly suggests that some sort of cover up is involved. Definitely the sort of job you would walk away from to avoid being implicated in some way when the 💩 hits the fan

I don't think there is any cover up..the lady was showing payment details to the lads from the DNO...she said they had used him multiple times

Yes, the DNO joint live LV service cables all the time. I have witnessed it many times on domestic new build supplies (including my own) and official DNO supply moves.
Oh I know they do but an electrician on the verge of a breakdown.

Something doesn't sound quite right with this whole story and it certainly suggests that some sort of cover up is involved. Definitely the sort of job you would walk away from to avoid being implicated in some way when the 💩 hits the fan
We were only there to check a possible dodgy socket which then led from one thing to another...why would you leave a job that is potentially dangerous just because you think you will get implicated in someway...calls were made everyone on site at the same time...issues rectified installation now safe...client will try to get there money back from guy who completed the works

This is just my thoughts, but as somebody who like to play by the rules this all sounds very strange. Firstly, what is an electrician (presumably part of a CPS scheme) doing extending the DNOs cable - im sure this wouldn't be coved under his insurance or acceptable to his CPS supplier, and secondly, are you sure the DNO are happy to accept liability for work carried out by an untrained (not trained in their organisation ) person that they are unable to inspect?
Has it been confirmed that the installation is compliant for PME?

It's done..DNO came...plate connecting earth to neutral was missing in the incoming head
40 yrs in the game 3 x have come across installations powered up for many many years where link has been left out of cut out but sparks just connected to earth bar/ connection ( visually you can't tell ) without testing and the properties had NO earth but also twice same thing but old water pipe was acting as the earth so prob still never tested because the reading would have given the game away.

This post highlights the danger of the modern day train g to become a sparks ( you can't beat experience ) we all need to learn and have someone to turn to for advice.These 21 day domestic sparks courses or even the 2 year NVQ courses will be dangerouyif your not teamed up with a skilled person.My lads 35 / 28 and the apprentice still ask me questions that makes my toes curl and things that was ground into me on my 4 yr 4 month JIB apprenticeship 5 years in total.( u tube can't answer everything ) saying that NICEIC have told me my G&G no longer covers me for QS of my company 38 years I have been QS 😂 IF I wanted to stay QS I would need to take a NVQ lol even though I have every update since the 15 the edition plus many other courses including 2391-10 inspecting & testing but as it happens I'm not worried as I want my son to take over and I can do less.I understand things change but there is no doubt having a certificate doesn't make you qualified to go out into the world installing. ( rant over 😤 ) 🤣

Oh I know they do but an electrician on the verge of a breakdown.

This is just my thoughts, but as somebody who like to play by the rules this all sounds very strange. Firstly, what is an electrician (presumably part of a CPS scheme) doing extending the DNOs cable - im sure this wouldn't be coved under his insurance or acceptable to his CPS supplier, and secondly, are you sure the DNO are happy to accept liability for work carried out by an untrained (not trained in their organisation ) person that they are unable to inspect?
Has it been confirmed that the installation is compliant for PME?
The electrician who rewired the property said he new someone from manweb who will sort it as a foreigner....go figure

Mmmmm
Jointed out as a 'foreigner'
Jointed under a concrete floor
No Earth link

I would be dubious about the integrity of the joint if he can't remember to fit an earth link

This , in my bigoted and I'll informed opinion, is a crock of 💩 possibly becoming subject to litigation further down the line

Just saying

DNO tested there end and said its fine...all sorted now...if it comes disconnected in the future it is what it is...they can sort that if and when it happens

40 yrs in the game 3 x have come across installations powered up for many many years where link has been left out of cut out but sparks just connected to earth bar/ connection ( visually you can't tell ) without testing and the properties had NO earth but also twice same thing but old water pipe was acting as the earth so prob still never tested because the reading would have given the game away.
Come across it a quite few times where the old metalclad service head has been changed for a modern plastic one and the pilc sheath providing the TNS earth has not been connected to the earth block / terminal. There are some areas where TNCS supplies are not allowed by the DNO because of local ground conditions not being suitable.
Going back a few decades and the only earth testing was done with a Drummond the brighter the lamp the better the earth

Latest posts