spurs at the origen

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spur: non-notifiableNew circuit: notifiable

even if your part p reg'd, itll save you notifying!
yeah i meant dobing in with the circuit thats changed from water spur to skt :x

thanks all. i supose spur in the cu would be better in the 16 amp radial mcb than the ring mcb

another quick question when u mentioned wylex it reminded me. would u put a 9.5 kw shower on a 50 mcb as they dont do 45mcb. the regs say yes but its rated at 41 amps 50 amp mcb is a big jump

providing the 50A can protect the cable against fault current, then yes.
wrong terminolgy andy?

protect the cable from overload better?

wrong terminolgy andy?protect the cable from overload better?
no. protect from fault. the shower is a fixed load, it cannot overload. so you dont need any overload protection. you only need to provide fault protection for the cable

i was thinking the other day, in theory if your ring main was in 6mm u could put it on a 50 amp mcb

will stick with 32. even if it did work dont think many people would want to run 6mm and terminate in a deep box

hmm. you select a cable to carry the design current! ?

i.e you don't look at the characteristics of the cable to handle xxx current i fault conditions! ?

yes. just messing around with idearsGuiness Drink

tom hopefully we can touch all bases in your first thread ROTFWL

hmm. you select a cable to carry the design current! ?i.e you don't look at the characteristics of the cable to handle xxx current i fault conditions! ?
you select a cable to take the load.

i.e you spur. now the cable is only rated 27A under ideal conditions, yet its on a 32A MCB. why do we allow this? a single or double socket is rated 13A max, so it cannot overload, since its limited to 13A. and the 32A gives fault protection. if there is a short at the socket, it will take out the 32A. same for the shower. the load cannot change, so providing the cable is rated enough for load, the MCB needs only provide fault protection, and taking this to extremes, the MCB may be rated higher then the cable's full load current

ROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLyer one real long thred with loads of spurs and maybe one at the origin.