Submersible Pumps Are Flawed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
240V equipment IS allowed on construction sites.

Under certain circumstances, as is 400V equipment.

I will not pass judgement on the pump as I don't have enough information, except to say that if the pump is being raised and lowered by the cable then that is incompetent &, that a carpenter should not be fault finding on faulty electrical pumping equipment.

This is not specifically the carpenters fault, and is a failing under MHSWR among other statute laws.
Well I've been on construction sites for over 40 years and I've never seen a sign saying your welcome to use 230/240V tools on this site.

I have seen contractors thrown off site for not using 110V, I've even been on a site that was shut down because the main contractor had failed to provide 110V outlets around the site.

So where is it permitted, obviously to feed the 110V stations and cabins but where on site ?

What happens  when the cable  becomes frayed?

Two things can happen.

1  -  The user  can be electrocuted

2 -  Water   can pass down the copper strands  and inside the pump  destroying it.

I've seen  one of those  happening!

just because there isnt a sign saying you can use 230 / 400v doesnt mean its illegal to do so

if the owner of the site only wants 110v, then your stuck with 110v

What happens  when the cable  becomes frayed?

Two things can happen.

1  -  The user  can be electrocuted

2 -  Water   can pass down the copper strands  and inside the pump  destroying it.

I've seen  one of those  happening!
regardless of voltage, you should be giving the equipment a quick visual before using it anyway which should highlight the damaged cable, where it should then be taken out of service for repair.

From the HSE web site

Portable electrical equipment

Tools, plugs and cables designed for DIY and domestic use are not suitable for site conditions. You should use cordless tools or those that operate from a 110V centre tapped to earth (CTE) supply system so that the maximum voltage to earth does not exceed 55V.

Regularly inspect power tools and take them out of service if they are damaged. Tools should be serviced by qualified electricians. Do not do makeshift repairs.

A visual check  will all too  likely  fail   to identify  cable damage. Especially  by a  non trained  site operative  working in hazardous  conditions. I wouldn't expect him to find  the fault  or the damage.

How many of you  have had   damaged cables  and couldn't find the    fault  by a visual  check   alone?

I still say their design is flawed  and not  only  flawed  but highly dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've been on construction sites for over 40 years and I've never seen a sign saying your welcome to use 230/240V tools on this site.

I have seen contractors thrown off site for not using 110V, I've even been on a site that was shut down because the main contractor had failed to provide 110V outlets around the site.

So where is it permitted, obviously to feed the 110V stations and cabins but where on site ?

It IS a recent change, please refer to BS7671 & BS7375, there are situations where it is allowable within H&S law, BS's, CoP's & ACoP's, whether the idiotic H&S officers & PC's for the sites are competent to manage this is a different question.

Try putting that to HSE on site then, no hard hat, no Hi-Vis, no Steel toe caps, no 110V and its Good bye.
I do not believe that you will have HSE present on many sites, especially now FFI have kicked in!

Canoe, & a few others of you,

Know I have weekly battles with these incompetent H&S bods at the heart of their profession when it comes to Electricity!

X(

It IS a recent change, please refer to BS7671 & BS7375, there are situations where it is allowable within H&S law, BS's, CoP's & ACoP's, whether the idiotic H&S officers & PC's for the sites are competent to manage this is a different question.

I do not believe that you will have HSE present on many sites, especially now FFI have kicked in!
That's good because I like wearing trainers even though I'm an old git.

Prodave seems to think  I think  110 volt  cables don't snap. The point is when  they do  you are unlikely to get killed.
where did I say that?

I've been saying all along, 110V or 240V makes no difference. Faulty cable, it goes bang.

110V won't stop the cable getting damaged and won't stop it going bang if it does.

Yes with 110V there's less chance of you getting killed if you touch a live wire, and I agree in an ideal world, you should have 110V pumps, but much MORE important is that the pumps are regularly inspected and tested, but nobody seems bothered to take that point on board.

The use of 110V is more to protect someone in the event of an accident, like a cable getting cut through, it is NOT a mechanism to allow you to disregard your tools, to not test them, and to not inspect them, in the hope they will just keep on working forever regardless of what abuse you give them.

Here's a suggestion.

The OP obviously carries all his own tools which are all 110V and presumably (hopefully) regularly PA Tested.

He complains when the site pump packs up and the trench fills up with water.

So why not buy your own 110V pump, keep it regularly inspected and tested, and use your own pump. Then you will know you can trust it and know it's in good safe condition.

are we still on this??

no 230v on sites?  not possible.  I can guarantee every site in the UK has 230v on it.

no 230v power tools maybe.

PAT testing?  PAT who?

Never heard of it before.  So its obviously  not compulsory  and not needed. My cscs  card training make no mention  of pat testing. Neither do site inductions.

The main requirement  for site safety  with electrical tools   is the use of 110 volt.  Has been for years. And doubly important  for my work  where  water  and hazardous conditions  are in the mix.

Can anyone  tell me me where I can obtain a 110v  site submersible   pump  with a festool  type   water proof  plug-it cable?

Unless  that  type of pump is available  then I certainly won't be purchasing one.

Swelter for someone who portrays much site experience I'd suggest you ought to ask your site agent if he actually knows what he's doing, PAT testing of tools has been around for years and is a prerequisite of being allowed on site?

PA Testing

Portable Appliance Testing.

It's one way of ensuring all your portable electrical appliances are safe.

If one of your tools kills someone, how do you propose to prove to a court of law that it was safe?  PA Testing is one way.

[pedantic] It's not PAT Testing, that would be portable appliance testing testing, a bit like PCB boards, LCD displays and other such nonsense [/pedantic]

Status
Not open for further replies.