An end to the fast track.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think at last the industry has sat up and the fast track route is now coming to an end.

I have to say that I am very annoyed that I am competing for work with people who have completed qualifications (usually being spoonfed by training providers) in the space of 5 weeks. Unfortunately you can't call yourself an electrician after that short period of time.

Fast track electricians are (in our industry) con men. Because in all honesty when customers employ you they very likely see you as a time served electrician and thats far from the case.

As of January 2012, the new requirements will come into force and it won't be possible for those fast track routes to work anymore. The new NVQ3 will consist of a portfolio of on-site work. So you will need to be in the industry to enrol on it.

Is anybody elese fed up of these fast track routes?

Elec, a few points if I may?

NVQ's can actually be gotten a hold of through private firms if you do a short course, the NICEIC are looking into doing a bolt on to their DISQ course for this for one.

Is it the fault of the short course students or the training providers for getting us into this mess? the short courses were designed for people already in the trade but didn't have a piece of paper to prove competence.

The new regulations say A Level 3 qualification, NVQ being one possible way of proving competence.

AndyGuinness

Andy,

Its not a level 3 qualification its now going to be an NVQ3.

NAPIT - News

From 1st January 2012, for the first time, a level of technical competence equivalent to level 3 NVQ competences is to be the minimum requirement for all new applications for Qualified Supervisors.

The equivalent won't be a normal level 3 qual. It will be the new NVQ3 in domestic installation. A new qualification that can only be taken by people empoloyed in the business. (If the training providers don't try and shorten this course and again let un-competent persons into our trade)

For those choosing the qualification route, the Level 3 NVQ Certificate in Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installation Work in Dwellings

This will be the new Qualification

Yes it is the fault of the short course students. As you have rightly said they where there for lads who had been in the industry for many years but had no paperwork. Now IT Jim took advantage of this. Took a short course for 5weeks gained the 17th Edition, 2392( a level2 watered down version of the real qualification, 2391) Eal part p domestic installer (whatever the hell that is) and the 2377 PAT testing cert. ( all of which a monkey could do). So they are conning not only our industry but their customers. Belive me I've picked up where they have left off and its shocking!

From 2012 its tightening up. No NVQ3 no QS.

Elec, I had an interview with Train for Trade skills I think it was (gas qualification), the guy spoke to all sorts of junk to Me, a lot of people are taken in by the claims of these types of training providers, its NOT always the students fault in the least.

AndyGuinness

Andy, Its not a level 3 qualification its now going to be an NVQ3.

NAPIT - News

From 1st January 2012, for the first time, a level of technical competence equivalent to level 3 NVQ competences is to be the minimum requirement for all new applications for Qualified Supervisors.

The equivalent won't be a normal level 3 qual. It will be the new NVQ3 in domestic installation. A new qualification that can only be taken by people empoloyed in the business. (If the training providers don't try and shorten this course and again let un-competent persons into our trade)

For those choosing the qualification route, the Level 3 NVQ Certificate in Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installation Work in Dwellings

This will be the new Qualification

Yes it is the fault of the short course students. As you have rightly said they where there for lads who had been in the industry for many years but had no paperwork. Now IT Jim took advantage of this. Took a short course for 5weeks gained the 17th Edition, 2392( a level2 watered down version of the real qualification, 2391) Eal part p domestic installer (whatever the hell that is) and the 2377 PAT testing cert. ( all of which a monkey could do). So they are conning not only our industry but their customers. Belive me I've picked up where they have left off and its shocking!

From 2012 its tightening up. No NVQ3 no QS.
This is the one I was invited to comment on the requirements of!

I did not have chance to search it out again you found it first!

It will make a difference.

Better to have an NVQ3 than npt have one. I personally don't and I'm already a QS. But il definately be doing one.

I just hope all these part time non-sparks go away when this comes out. The jobs I've been to after these short course sparks are terrible. Spurs with 8 sockets on from a ring. No FCU. Outdoor garden lights ran in twin & earth along fencing. TNC-S systems marked as TN-S on EIC's it goes on and on

The equivalent is the 2360 level 3 with the AM2. Before the NVQ3 was introduced the 90's.

Canoeboy you are right it won't affect current QS's atm. but you can bet your life they will tell you to gain it within a certain time.

Why don't you guys want to do it? Can't you do it? Do you not want to be fully qualified?

Canoeboy do you have the City & Guilds 2391 or the 2391NA or neither?

2360 level 12330 level 3

16th and 17th edition

2391 practical

AndyGuinness

My college doesn't run the abridging course, I cant find any that do, only private training companies.
What do you mean the 2391 practical? Its one cert mate and you need both theory and practical to pass it. You can still register for the NVQ3 now if you have the 2330 level 3 at most colleges. I know my Wirral met one you can!

Electricalserv. He works on stuff we've never seen lol ie really heavy stuff Inc controls etc. He knows his stuff mate

Electricalserv. He works on stuff we've never seen lol ie really heavy stuff Inc controls etc. He knows his stuff mate
Doesn't matter mate. This is the internet, anyone can be anyone. He could be a control panel builder not a proper spark!

Doesn't matter mate. This is the internet, anyone can be anyone. He could be a control panel builder not a proper spark!
Very true, in real life I am a cat, and have certs to prove it.

However I think calling someone elses qualifications into question when you dont even know what they are is very bad form,

Very true, in real life I am a cat, and have certs to prove it.

However I think calling someone elses qualifications into question when you dont even know what they are is very bad form,
I've asked him he doesn't want to share. I haven't called anyones in to question. I've asked him what he has he won't tell me.