Circuit Breaker is not tripped but no power

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsafa

Reaction score
Hi there, I was testing the power in the boiler yesterday and by my mistake a short circuit happened and boiler's circuit breaker tripped.Now circuit breaker is not tripped but there is no power in boiler. Boiler's CB is connected to another 2 pole CB by a copper terminal. I checked the power for boiler's cb and there is no power in it. Can you please tell me what happened exactly? Thanks

Power comes out of one pole but there is no power coming out of the pole which is connected to the boiler's circuit breaker.  The whole house has power except the boiler.

What country are you in?

That is nothing like what we are used to in the UK.

the double pole "main switch" would normally switch L and N here for everything.  Instead the left pole of the main switch switches the L to the boiler MCB and the right pole of the main switch is switching the L to a load of other stuff.

There is obviously no power in to the white cable entering the main switch top left so you need to follow that back to it's source to find out what else you have blown.

That’s not quite a text book install! 
why is the earth bar connected to the second neutral bar? 
I’d suggest you need a proper electrician to take a look at that install. It really needs sorting, it looks as though it was formerly a dual rcd board that has been bodged into a single rcd board badly. 
power to your boiler is the least of your worries. 

Hi there, I was testing the power in the boiler yesterday and by my mistake a short circuit happened and boiler's circuit breaker tripped.Now circuit breaker is not tripped but there is no power in boiler. Boiler's CB is connected to another 2 pole CB by a copper terminal. I checked the power for boiler's cb and there is no power in it. Can you please tell me what happened exactly? Thanks

How What & Why were you testing.....??

Obviously you have poked something that has a low resistance conductance between two points that should not have a low resistance between them...

Is that a 20A type C breaker supplying the boiler?

I am hoping there is another lower rated fuse somewhere... other wise it could well have cooked quite a few components to level well over Medium-Rare!

You say the circuit breaker tripped.. But now it's not tripped?

Do you mean you have switched it back on after it tripped?

Have you verified continuity between the terminals of the circuit breaker?

Sometimes the switch may need wiggling up & down a few times if it doesn't make a good electrical contact when first reset..

I've had similar situation on an old board where the breaker has not been operated for a long time..

First push putting lever back into the up 'on' position doesn't actually re-make the 'ON' connection between the MCBs contacts..

(Few wiggles off/on/off/on/off/on etc.. and then the voltage is finally output back to the circuit).

As for what happened exactly..?  

That is quite difficult as none of us were there watching what you were doing!!!?

I am guessing.. You poked...  went bang...  power gone!!!

but that's just guessing?

+ as others have mentioned...  I really do hope this is NOT a UK installations otherwise I would be suggesting legal action against the original installer!

Guinness  

Where does the other end of the white cable at the top of the double pole switch come from?

Its ok chaps, I've got one here that definatly is in the UK: https://ibb.co/xgQwM54 😂

Its got that half busbar thing wylex used to do, so the breakers jump out at you if you catch the bottom edge of them with the cover!