Plastic Conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scenario - old shed, wired couple of sockets and light just in surface clipped T&E. Old shed coming down to be replaced with a new shed. Have stripped out the wiring from old shed to another shed as new shed coming next week.

Now I could just replace what was there, but was thinking that wiring in plastic conduit would make a neater job, and there are a few dents in the T&E which I am not happy with [either way I will use new cable] it deserves better protection.

Was going to get a pack of 20mm plastic conduit and some fittings ordered from Toolstation [slightly cheaper than SF]. Assume I require 'female' fittings to connect into the metal clad sockets and switches? What are 'male' fittings for?

If I was to buy a roll of 2.5mm singles [say blue] could I sheath the ends at each socket [brown and green & yellow] or should I buy three rolls of different colours?

Yes I know I shouldn't really be doing this, but all I am doing is replacing like for like....

:D

Thanks in advance!

Patch,

IF it is inside the shed then as long as the supply is there Part p does not apply.

Please use the correct colours.

HTH

Paul

Please use the correct colours.
You don't like my sheathing the ends idea? I would do it at every termination?

Playing devils advocate - is this any different to using normal T&E and sheathing the sw live brown?

Concur

If you do not want to buy all 3 colours to do the job proper like, then why not just re do with twin and earth and provide additional protection for drops with Mini trunking or 20mm HIP2.

Pache

If, as and when you want to alter any of the layout; you`ve got a real nightmare to determine conductors (if it is even YOU who is doing the alteration)

Plus, the propensity for error goes up exponentially, as there is the possibility of mixing "which brown is earth / neutral" at any connection.

I back Paul here. Use singles by all means; easier than T+E, but use the right colours mate :pray

p.s. You`re right r.e. females :Applaud

I back Paul here. Use singles by all means; easier than T+E, but use the right colours mate :pray
A roll of blue, brown and G/Y added to basket! :D

May I just flag up my other question from the OP!

Was going to get a pack of 20mm plastic conduit and some fittings ordered from Toolstation [slightly cheaper than SF]. Assume I require 'female' fittings to connect into the metal clad sockets and switches? What are 'male' fittings for?

I generally use the males into threaded sockets, such as can be found on some plastic enclosures, i.e. 20A switch disconnectors & commando sockets often have a 20mm threaded hole, which the male thread will screw straight into.

If you`re going into a metalclad CU, backbox, fitting etc with a thin profile, although the males would technically work (with a backnut), the females don`t protrude far into the enclosure - males do.

HTH

KME

agree with all that has been said so far altho technically you could use 1 colour and identify its just not done.

however if you had to i would use 3 browns my reason is in the future someone who perhaps may want to tap into the circuit they see the brown and then would normally find where its supplied from. but with an earth colour wire a not so cautious person may think thats an earth and its highly unlikely to have a voltage on it i'll just cut it and splice in my earth.

similiar suitation with blues some roughen may want to borrow a neutral

Patch you really need to get correct colours you would not give a sick animal incorrect drug just because that is what you had on the shelf. Using blue for live/neutral and earth is just not done although if it was pyro you would have to decide which conductor is which. I assume you were only joking coming up with this plan.

In patchs defence I was thinking of doing the same :coat I only need about 10 mtrs of each three so was going to get 100mtrs of neutral and sleeve the entire length of earth with earth sleeving and line with brown sleeving the sleeving i have anyway, but would save myself

I think he may mean that Part P was ammended to allow alterations WITH IN shed to be NON notifiable

Latest posts