Plastic Conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bullet point 'f.' page 8 Approved document P."Detached garages and sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable ONLY if it involves new outdoor wiring."

So if the supply is already there into the shed, and Patches work is all inside the shed, it is no different from work within a Lounge, Dining room, Bedroom etc.. where no new circuit is added.

:coffee
but if he is replacing the shed then the wiring is being removed ???

so puting the same wiring back in is ok ??? into a different building ?

so if i knock my house down but keep the cu intact and build a new house around it its then not notifiable ?? :p

I have to agree with the view that part P is applicable as its effectivly the installation of a new CU and circuits in a shed.

Also like for like only applies where it is like for like not like for kinda like.

Yet the shed will require a consumer unit (possibly) and at least one new circuit.............?
No. The small CU is in the big shed, the same radial circuit extends from the big shed into the little shed. Same with the same lighting circuit.

All same circuit.

Now if the inside of the shed is not considered a SL then I can add an extra socket or an extra light if I want too. Just like I can inside my own house outside of a special location.

All legal and above board. If I was removing the big shed I wouldn't touch the consumer unit in there - I would get a spark in to do it!

Happy?

:D

So the circuit leaves the big shed and crosses the garden?

but if he is replacing the shed then the wiring is being removed ???so puting the same wiring back in is ok ??? into a different building ?

so if i knock my house down but keep the cu intact and build a new house around it its then not notifiable ?? :p
If you knock down an old conservatory, and replace it with a new one. Lights from lighting circuit, power from ring - then DIYer can legally do it!

Your example is a tad OTT!

I think it does fall within notification to LABC from the description of works.

The point behind Part P was to make installations safer (something I think it has helped the opposite of) and in this specific case I am sure that the existing circuit will be extended safely.

I think it does fall within notification to LABC from the description of works. The point behind Part P was to make installations safer (something I think it has helped the opposite of) and in this specific case I am sure that the existing circuit will be extended safely.
How so? If we take Sparkytim to be correct:

I think he may mean that Part P was ammended to allow alterations WITH IN shed to be NON notifiable
All I am doing is extending an existing circuit outside of a special location!

:|

Sparkytim is correct but I think it was there from the start. The excpetion does state as long as it does not include any new outdoor wiring which I guess you will as the cable will leave your old shed and enter the new one.

But that could be argued both ways and much like 7671 this is a greyish area.

Sparkytim is correct but I think it was there from the start. The excpetion does state as long as it does not include any new outdoor wiring which I guess you will as the cable will leave your old shed and enter the new one.But that could be argued both ways and much like 7671 this is a greyish area.
Personally I would (and have) notify for this but as you do not have that option then 'nike it'

I could be way off the mark here page 8 of Part P additional notes;

b. Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are generally not notifiable, even if carried out in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation.

e. Conservatories and attached garages are not special locations. Work in them is therefore not notifiable unless it involves the installation of a new curcuit or an extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation.

f. Detatched garages and sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable only if it involves new outdoor wiring.

By note b it could be classed as replacement/maintenance so not notifiable, by f are you installing new outdoor wiring ? does that mean outside of shed ? our outdoor as in outside of the house in the open ?

its very poorly worded

if you install secondhand wiring its not notifiable if new cable it is ROTFWL

or outdoor wiring could mean externally to the detched garage/shed

or indeed outside wiring aka swa inside headbang

Well I've ordered the gear - it's getting done. Just waiting for the stuff to arrive and a shed to put it all in!

I will run cable from 1 shed to another through conduit so it never goes outside - promise!

:D

Patch I said I would burn it down , not you would ]:) ] :)

Your new shed is now at ransom for piccys ......................................

Latest posts