A wannabe electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so basically you found out how to plug in a connector to a motherboard and now you have a degree. you have 0 useful qualifications, 0 knowledge and 0 experience. you have no chance of getting a job as someone qualified and if you do try to blag your way through, you will be found out very quickly.

look at it a different way. to do an apprenticeship as an electrician it would take you 4 years (no idea on electronics, its completely different, but id expect an electronic apprenticeship to take roughly the same amount of time). if you left school at 16 and youre 18 now, and you started immediately then you would still not be fully qualified to work on your own. what you know from school would be of some help (more so the science / maths) but you would still need to learn a lot, and tbh, almost everything youve learned at school you can forget...

so, at 18, with only a school course (youve never said if you had done any other formal training / courses since leaving school, but it doesnt look like it), do you really think you are going to get a job as an electrician (or electronics) with what you have now?

what exactly do you plan on doing with your life? electrician or electronics? you really need to decide which and focus on

Last edited by a moderator:
I never abandoned highschool at 18.I'm a senior grade student now.

what exactly do you plan on doing with your life? electrician or electronics? you really need to decide which and focus on
Well I could get a degree at a programming course of c++ after learning c from my phone.I will need a college degree in IT programming if I have to become a programmer.That is all I can think of.

so youre still at high school? doing what? a timeline of what subjects youve been doing for the last few years would be helpful
Well I never loved physics and chemistry so engineering is not for me.Math and logic was always my favourite thing.The small problem is that I never learned programming at highschool or school so I guess I have to start with C after I graduate highschool and put a miniholiday for my studies.

learning a bit of C++ on your phone wont make you a programming expert either. unless you go to a supermarket stacking shelves where you dont really need any experiance or knowledge, you cant simply go from electronics / electrician to programmer because youve done a quick bit programming on your phone

what do you actually want to do? whats your main interest? you seem to be jumping all over the place with no idea what you want to do

From the comments posted today, I would guess you have paid no attention to the previous guidance given to you in May 2017.

I honestly don't think the overall summary and conclusion is going to be much different from the outcome of your earlier thread.

Doc H.

learning a bit of C++ on your phone wont make you a programming expert either. unless you go to a supermarket stacking shelves where you dont really need any experiance or knowledge, you cant simply go from electronics / electrician to programmer because youve done a quick bit programming on your phone

what do you actually want to do? whats your main interest? you seem to be jumping all over the place with no idea what you want to do
If I can't do that and that that means that the only subject that is left for me is math.I guess being a math teacher is not that bad.I was good at math in highschool so I don't see how college would stop me from that.

there not just maths left, there are plenty options, you just have to find the right one. what are you good at? did you actually want to do electronics in the first place or did you really want to do something else?

there not just maths left, there are plenty options, you just have to find the right one. what are you good at? did you actually want to do electronics in the first place or did you really want to do something else?
Well I wanted to be an english teacher but my parents told me that they don't know grammar so I had to choose something else.Then I choosed to be a truck driver but after seeing that you have no friends and no holidays it was hard for me to decide whatever to take it or not.I guess i have to stick with math if i am not good as you say in programming.

Also my mother advised my father to make me good at something but the problem is that my father didn't seem to care about me at all.All he wanted from me were good grades and a degree.If I had a degree he would be happy for the money that he spent for himself and not for me.

well if its any help my dads a truck driver...

so what if your parents dont know grammer? just because they cant do something doesnt mean that you cant do it. my parents know almost nothing about electrics, didnt stop me becoming a sparky

just because they cant do something doesnt mean that you cant do it. my parents know almost nothing about electrics, didnt stop me becoming a sparky
But that would mean that I have to forget about what I had in highscool and to move on with my life.Well it's not a bad advice but I guess have a lot to learn when I will pass highschool.Highschool helped me with nothing.Do you think I could change my life if I wasted my life among losers?

Why do I have this feeling that I am loser too and how you described me is true?

tbh, sounds like your already wasting your life doing something you dont enjoy or understand. you need to decide if you want to keep doing what youre currently doing or something else. forget what your parents said / think, its about you, not them

You'll be surprised to learn that there are more like me that choosed something they didn't like and had to face the consequences.There was another guy like me who choosed this specialty and now he works somewhere else.

OK, my background is electronics (control engineering as it was known 30 years ago). I retrained in electrical work 14 uears ago. Before retraining I hadn't realised just how different the work is. I have a much better understanding of electronics components than most electricians, but electronics is mostly about very small wires and control circuits, electrical work is much more about power distribution ie cabling and circuit protection. It is perfectly feasible that you can retrain, but it will take time and during that time you need to learn intsallation techniques and standards eg running circuits in conduit, finding gaps in walls etc etc. Given your background and educational ability, you won't find it too hard to do, but you would be best working as an electricians labourer or 'mate' as we like to call it in the UK.

look at it a different way. to do an apprenticeship as an electrician it would take you 4 years
Well the organizer told us that the apprenticeship takes 4-5 months and after that we would be ready to be electricians.Is that true?

nope. a proper apprenticeship takes 4 years. even then you still dont know everything, ive probably learned more after my apprenticeship than during it

nope. a proper apprenticeship takes 4 years. even then you still dont know everything, ive probably learned more after my apprenticeship than during it
You mean you are not prepared in 4 months although in other sites that i looked they say that you will be an electrician after 4-5 months.Are they lying or are they telling the truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts